How Does Discord Make Money? (2019) | Digital Zealot


Hey everyone. Welcome to Digital Zealot. In
2018, we made a video all about how Discord, a free chat service, makes money. But already,
in under a year, that video is out of date! In this video, we’re going to cover how
Discord makes money in 2019. To start, in 2016 Discord promised that they
would never run ads on their website or app. Most websites and free services, including
social media sites, use advertising as a primary form of revenue. This would be the easy way
out, but it is a big relief that Discord does not want to run ads and clutter up the user
experience.They have also stated that they are not in the business of selling user data.
Despite their terms of service being a bit unclear about user data, and people quoting
“if you’re not paying for it, you’re the product”, there is no actual evidence
that Discord is selling user data to third parties, and Discord themselves have made
it clear they do not want to do that. Because data privacy is such a big deal, we don’t
blame you for being skeptical. Overall though, Discord has promised that their core features
will always be free and available to anyone. Discord got their start through money raised
from investors. Between 2012 and 2015, Discord raised just under $10 million as part of their
Seed Round, Series A, and Series B funding. Then in 2016, they raised $20 million through
Greylock Partners. This money was used to expand Discord staff and pay salaries. In
2017, Discord raised an additional $50 million through Index Ventures. In 2018, they raised
another $50 million from investors. At the time of that round of funding, the company
was valued at $1.65 billion, doubling their previous valuation. In December 2018, Discord
raised $150 million, with a $2.05 billion valuation. This round of funding included
several companies, but was lead by Greenoaks Capital. All in all, as of the start of 2019,
they have raised around $280 million from investors. Discord Nitro is their premium subscription
service, that primarily is a way for Discord fans to help support the program’s development.
Nitro costs $9.99 a month or $99.99 for a whole year. This gives some cool perks. You
get a custom tag, can have an animated profile picture, higher quality screen sharing, global
custom emojis, a file upload size limit of 50 MB rather than 8, and of course a profile
badge to show how long you’ve been supporting Discord. With the advent of the game store,
Discord Nitro also includes access to over $1000 worth of games, included in your subscription.
If you don’t care about the games, you can opt for Nitro Classic, which includes every
perk except for the free games. This cuts the price in half, to $4.99 per month or $49.99
for a whole year. It’s unknown how many people have Nitro, but with over 200 million
active users at the end of 2018, it’s likely a pretty high number. Discord recently launched their game store
to the public. This is yet another platform to purchase games and play them from. With
so many platforms for this already out there, it remains to be seen how successful it’s
going to be. Since Discord is aimed at gamers, it’s a fair bet that some people will purchase
games through it. The store started out with a 70/30 revenue split. The developer gets
70% of the money from a sale of a game, and Discord gets the other 30%. However, moving
into 2019, Discord is opting for a 90/10 split. They have even stated that they want to cut
down that 10% even further. That 10% will cover operating costs, but they want to become
even more efficient with that. So, the real question is: Is Discord going to make money
from the game store? Only time will tell, but it is certainly a way that the company
can bring in revenue. Of course, Discord also sells branded merchandise,
and likely takes home some money from this. They currently sell t-shirts, hats, bags,
and socks. Many critics online are worried about Discord’s
business model. Like many free-to-use online services, the tool comes before the revenue.
Startups rely on venture capital before figuring out how to turn a profit. Twitter didn’t
make a profit until 2016, and it was launched in 2006! It survived through the potential
that investors saw in the tool. Discord’s profitability may not be readily apparent,
and it could be a bumpy ride on the road the success. They have experienced incredible
growth over the past few years, so there is a lot of potential. They are always rolling
out new features, and as the launch of the game store reveals, they are working on new
revenue sources in the background. Do you support Discord through a Nitro subscription,
or in any other way? Let us know in the comments, and let us know about your thoughts and opinions
on Discord’s profitability as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *